From 1733 to 1748 Trustees’ Garden was set aside from Savannah as an experimental farm where peaches, rice, cotton, grapes, flax, hemp, indigo, olives, and the mulberry trees essential to silk culture, were grown. Silk was an early promise, and the town’s largest structure was the filature where the cocoons were unwound into silk thread. Queen Caroline was clothed in Georgia silk. However, large scale silk production did not happen, so interest waned and the garden closed.
In 2008, Charles Morris assumed the cultivation of Trustees Garden to nourish a great city FOR the whole world.